Thursday, September 2, 2010

Take Two



Soooo...it's 7:46 AM and I finally have a free minute as I sit in my painfully early "Math Lab" (or more fondly referred to as the Meth Lab) because the program we use for this computer science is not working...what a shame. :) Anyways, I just thought I'd take the few minutes I have and update you all on life so far at school:

After almost two weeks of classes, I can finally say that I am settling into the routine of 'college life,' although it still hasn't completely set in that I'm not just at camp, nor a heavenly vacation on the beach. I have already given my roommate, Katherine, permission to slap me if I ever start taking our constant ocean view for granted. This whole experience still has an element of fantasy to it...but slowly, it is beginning to set in more and more that this is home.

My typical day revolves around three activities: studying, eating, and socializing. And, more often than not, a juggling act of all three at once. Solitude, "free time," and sleeping have already become foreign. In fact, as I lay down on my bed yesterday afternoon to read for my freshman writing class, my head somehow found its way to a pillow and (as she explained to me) 45 minutes later, Katherine was shaking me and virtually screaming in my ear in order to wake me up for dinner. Really though, who wants (or even can?!) sleep as late dance parties, Facebook-stalking sessions, or star gazing on the ocean cliffs beckon?? Certainly not I. Thankfully, this weekend has graciously been added a third day and the campus will be relatively empty as the rest of the freshman head off to a retreat. My roommate and I have decided to stay back, catching up on work, laundry, and sleep...as well as abusing the privelege of her aunt and uncle's house/car that are a mere 25 minutes away (!).

Which leads me to profile this wonderful companion of Nease 524 North...Katherine Roper. My roommate is from New Canaan, Connecticut, which she lovingly refers to as "the preppiest town you can imagine." She, however, is very down-to-earth and likable. It's amusing to watch her eyes light up in awe as guys open doors for girls or as she discovers that we can actually write an essay containing the word Jesus...to quote her, "People are just so nice here." Our mutual hate for what we have deemed the 'California Look' (aka, the 'I'm going to take two hours to get ready but make it look like I just rolled out of bed and off the beach with my collection of Toms, Rainbows, cut-off neon tank tops, and ridiculously bleached hair' persona) has formed a somewhat inseparable bond between us. We already share everything...from jewelry and the contents of our fridge, to embarassing PhotoBooth pictures and familiar frustrations. Talking about Christmas break and even next summer is already a sad event, realizing how much we will miss living together. We'll see how that holds up six weeks from now...:) Just kidding. I love this girl and am so thankful that God has placed us together. As we often laugh and start to say to each other as we meet many peculiar people, "If I would have gotten her as a roommate..."

1 comment:

  1. Yay! What a blessing to have a roommate that you get along with so well. It's great to know that you are doing so well and enjoying this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete