Friday, November 5, 2010

Shades of Autumn


I feel like I haven't updated in forever! Sorry to those who sit around waiting anxiously for the next update on my exciting life...:) Just kidding.

So, fall is rolling into Southern California. While in Olympia this would mean a successive 6+ months of rain, dreary skies, and lots of afternoons spent inside, here we are welcoming days of 85 degree loveliness. I'm definitely enjoying the extended days of sunshine, but I can't wait to go home and reminisce a limited amount of 'real' fall days! Thank you to my wonderful parents who are so graciously flying me home for our 5-day Thanksgiving break. :) I am blessed.

Alright...so I've been at Loma for about, errr, 77 days now. Having a pretty good grasp on all of the important things--food, dorm life, chapel, campus, schedules, the beach, etc--I can honestly say that this is the place for me! I visited a few state schools when I came home in October, and although they all have their perks, I was only reminded of how well of a fit this place is. Just some of my favorite things about school:
Small classes. I have met, and am still meeting, people in my major that I will be able to grow closer to over the next four years as we share enough math classes to make anyone go crazy...except those crazies who volunteer it of course! I love all of these kids already and am thankful that such tight-knit courses have allowed us to become friends already.
Dorm life. It has its ups and downs (what place wouldn't when filled with 300+ girls...), but for the most part I am loving Nease! I have met some awesome people and am daily experiencing the joys of living in a community of faith. And community bathrooms...Haha. But really, whether it's random heart to hearts in the hall, study & Facebook sessions til the wee hours, or sharing in the weekly Bible study, I am SO blessed by the amazing people I live with!
Location, location, location. Just the other day after class, I caught up with a friend and hiked down the cliffs for a spur-of-the-moment beach trip. There's something so calming and comforting amidst our busy schedules about just being able to sit back every day and watch the waves. Also, the city is so close! Fashion Valley is great (minus the shuttle) for shopping and movies, and my friends and I can easily dip downtown or even to the Padres game...as we did a few weeks ago. So fun.
Profs. I'll admit: calling a teacher by the title of "Dr" can still be a bit intimidating. I mean some of these people are brilliant. (So much so sometimes that I just feel like a blubbering idiot in class). However, they care very much about us and most even pray to start each class! And it's not even illegal...:)
Innocent fun. It's not uncommon for a group of us to hike down the hill to Cup of Yo (Frozen Yogurt for those Washingtonians) on late weekday evenings. Or sooo secretly smuggle food from the Caf, as we remark, "I'm paying 36 grand for this...it's not stealing." Trips to the pumpkin patch/nut farm, movies in the Greek, and church hunting on the shuttle. Let's just say we get creative here--Nazarene style. For example, the hypnotist at last weekend's Halloween party was probably the biggest scandal this school has seen since its founders. We were all surprised that the holiday was even given attention. Along with this fiasco, rugby players were actually volunteering to be shot by paint balls in the freezing cold while half naked. We won't even go there...

As you can see, I'm not really enjoying myself. Nahhh...not in the slightest. :) I often do miss home, and I do have countdowns on my phone for the holidays, but all in all I know that this is where God has perfectly placed me. To get a better glimpse of the aroma of Loma, I suggest you check out this website: http://mylifeisloma.com/. Disclaimer: This may not appear humorous to anyone over 25 or seriously lacking any sense of sarcasm. Recently created by students, this website lightheartedly reveals the stereotypical atmosphere of a small, private, Christian university on the ocean. (If there exists such a stereotype...) Anyways, this blog basically reinvents FML or My Life is Average for any and all students wishing to express their unique and hilarious Point Loma experiences. One of my personal favorites: "Today, my family came down to visit me at school, they wanted to see my dorm room so I took them up to our room. When we were leaving my parents led the way by a few minutes. That left just my brother and I walking out together. On our way out I was then fined $50 for having a guy in my room when it wasn't 'open dorm'. MLIL."

:)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, for those of anxiously awaiting...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha oh masey i just went to that website and its really funny! =)

    ReplyDelete