Friday, January 7, 2011

The List, by Marian Jordan

My current read: a crucial truth worth re-typing.

"There is a time for everything...blah, blah, blah, blah. It's not like there aren't four million books out there for single women saying all the same thing. So naturally my response was, Yes, yes, Lord, I know, but how do I make this season beautiful? Because if I'm going to be honest with you, the way I'm going right now is not so pretty. I need some serious help. You know...the supernatural--part the waters, food from ravens--kind of help. And in that emotional state of disappointment mingled with desire I heard the Lord's response to my question. He said, Marian, you need to exchange your List for my List.

Exchange my List? But we've been together for so long. What could this mean?

In the months following that flight I grew to understand more and more what the Lord meant by this exchange. My eyes were opened to see that my List was simply the worldly possessions, accomplishments, and goals I hoped and believed would bring joy and happiness to my life. But as I began to look around, I noticed an amazing truth--there were millions of women out there with their own Lists, and guess what--they really weren't that happy or content either. You can be married and miserable. You can climb the corporate ladder and feel nothing but despair at the top. You can have the American dream and feel like you're living a nightmare. The secret to joy in any season of life is exchanging our Lists for his List.

This book is all about his List--the biblical truths I've learned that make any season of life beautiful.
Married of single.
College student or senior citizen.
Mommy or CEO.
Bridesmaid or bride.
I've discovered that joy is not found in some future stage; it is available now for those of us willing to make the exchange."

No comments:

Post a Comment