Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fall Frenzy

Well hellooo there! If anyone is still there, in fact; I will not be able to blame those who have simply given up on keeping tabs on me, seeing as I have fallen off the face of the blogging horizon these past few weeks. In any case, at least I'll be updating my mother, who has been frequently requesting updates. :) Hi momma!

Much has changed in these past few months.

Firstly, can I just talk about how quickly this semester has flown by? Finals, which are looming three weeks ahead, literally feel as though they have come two weeks into the start of the year. Almost everyone I talk to has agreed that the days of our weeks during these past few months blend into one after another of a repetitive routine, making weekends (do I even daresay...?) not anticipated?? That might be taking it a stretch too far. However, it does feel as though my dreads of entering a new week on Monday morning are quickly relieved by the freedom of Friday evenings. The weeks themselves have been playing out in one of two ways for me this semester. And when I say "in one of two ways," I mean the most opposite and jarring extremes. Last week was a petal-to-the-medal, don't-you-dare-stop-to-eat-or-rest kind of intensity, with these past four days as my cool-down jog....ifyouknowwhatImean. Last night I slept for over ten hours, I sat down for an hour's lunch today, and my 3:00 class was cancelled. Ahhhh. Before I know it though, Thanksgiving break will be over and I'll be trying to speed race a marathon on a full stomach of pie and stuffing. But that is life, no?

The week before our Thanksgiving break is always our Homecoming tradition at Loma, and so this week has included the annual powder puff game, dinner on the football field, the variety show, the men and women's basketball games, and generally more edible Caf food! A big thanks to the, ehem, older alumni visiting for that one. Ohh, if only they knew the spectacles that grace our plates on other days. If only. For now, the student body enjoys enough of the shades of Sea Lion green and yellow to make the average stomach queasy, all of the opinions and speculations that come with the coronation of the king and queen, and, most notably, the appearance of the seven-layer bar in the dessert section. GOOO TEAM!

Two out of the past three weekends have been almost as eventful for me, owing particularly to my participation in local debate tournaments. Before you get all, like, impressed on me or something, let me just expand on this claim: I am in the Argument and Debate class this semester to fulfill a general education requirement and one of the stipulations of the class (other than failing a five page jargon-gorged midterm) is to participate in two of these tournaments. Now, my partner and I are in the category that about two-thirds of this class sits in; that is, the one with no experience what. so. ever. I mean, yeah, I am fairly confident in my ability to argue my way through a debate pretty well in my kitchen, with my brother, over who sets the table or who does the dishes. But now, go ahead and permutate the counterplan of the opposition because it is not mutually exclusive, as well as competitive with the topicality of the government. Oh, and in under seven minutes, please, standing in front of a judge and your opponents. Uhhh...duhhh...uhhh. Indeed, itt has been quite the learning experience for me.
I have appreciated the organized, "flow" layout that a debate holds--a topic that could be worth an entire blog in itself--however, the persuasion aspect has been a bit daunting. I have never been one for public speaking, so the aspect of a virtually impromptu speech that is critiqued for both content and delivery was absolutely terrifying in the beginning. My partner in this crime, Lydia, on the other hand, has proven herself in these tournaments to be a seriously kick-A speaker. Since a round contains three speeches given from each side, she is usually the one to open and close our case and then I try to tie the arguments together in the middle: aka I fumble around my notes and words, hoping that something intelligible comes of it. Over these past weekends of basically being thrown into the deep end of forensics and the rhetorical genius that it demands, I have been forced to gain confidence in my own speaking abilities. To not dread my seven-minute center stage. Or, as my partner puts it, "just pretend like you know what you're talking about." This is key to the sport of debate though, truly, and it is something that my logical, categorical, and rational mind is not too prone to. Plus, we've just met super cool people that would rather spend their weekends wrapped up in current issues and intelligent conversations, as opposed to eating waffles and going to the beach. Although, I'd like to make a case that the latter has it's advantages. :)

Speaking of waffles and going to the beach, what the heck have I been doing for fun?? Oh, and in case you are signposting this blog, there is absolutely no organization to the flow of these paragraphs and my thoughts. My apologies! Anyhow, my Friday nights this semester have begun with a five hour shift and work and usually end in eating something that has not been produced for the masses in the form of cafeteria food, engaging in some relaxing activity, and then passing out at an inexcusably early time. Seriously people, I feel like I am that sleep-deprived parent of a newborn that lives for the nights that more a single REM cycle is experienced. Bring on the motherhood, cause after this college thing, I am ready for the no-sleep-bad-hair-day-every-day lifestyle. I take a trip to the gym as my "me" time and any moment I get to just jump on my bed and not use my brain for more than five minutes feels like a vaca. I am taking advantage of the nice weather this semester and have enjoyed a couple of days on weekends at the beach or just lounging outside. One Sunday night, while venturing along Shelter Island, I even ran into a performance at one of the hotels on the marina by none other than Colbie Caillat herself! Why pay to see her when you can just lean from the balcony of a neighboring hotel and hear her voice drift across the bay? Thank you, San Diego, for just being freaking awesome like that.

Although this city has grown steadily into a special place in my heart, one even rivaling my home in the Northwest, I will be leaving this spectacular, ocean-side nest for London in the fall! As one of the biggest things I have to look forward to in the upcoming year, I will certainly be blogging about the preparations for this upcoming trip more specifically, but I will spout some of the deets now. After a rather drawn-out conversation with the study abroad program that I had originally intended on traveling with this upcoming semester, Semester at Sea, I was finally led to the decision that it would just be too high of a cost for the proposed experience. I had heard some "horror" stories of people becoming alcoholics and losing their virginity on this voyage and decided to steer clear of this iceberg (pun intended) in my own international experience. As a Literature, Writing, or Journalism major, a trip is offered every other year to London and surrounding areas of Great Britain by a pair of spouses that teach in this department at our school. On the day of the deadline for applications, I had been informed of it and so, after writing an essay between classes and meeting with the woman in charge, submitted my application with a "what the heck" attitude. Now, a year from the trip, I am enrolled in the program and have paid my deposit! I could not be more thrilled. The group leaves on July 31st of next summer and will be studying throughout the UK until November 15. This just happens to fall during the 2012 Olympics, which will be held IN LONDON (AHHHHHH!), and is scheduled in such a way that I will be able to do my own traveling in Europe from mid-November on. One of my best friends, who was just recently married and is now living in Sweden with her husband, will no longer be that stranger across the Atlantic. Also, a couple of my friends will be studying abroad in Italy during the same period of time. Hello Rome, and a million opportunities to expand and explore. Thinking about it, even still a way's off, I am nearly peeing myself.

Or is that just because I've been writing this blog for almost an hour now and have yet to stop for a bathroom break?

I think that's my cue. :) I will do my best to write more often and with less detail, since that seems to be the whole idea of an "up-date." Congratulations, if you at least feel somewhat up to date on the events of my life. If not, then you know how I feel more than half of the time.
Cheers to the business of our every day lives and the promises that each moment holds, even amidst the chaos of the surface. I love you all, and I am continuing to uphold you in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment