At five this morning, my mom left on the adventure of a lifetime: a week (ish) long cruise to Alaska with her dad, on his fishing boat. He and my grandma have just recently packed up and moved to the town of Seward, per the hunting and fishing fantasies of my grandpa. This trek will be the final journey. I'm excited for the opportunity my mom has to get to spend time with her dad, but in the wake of her absence are all of the cleaning, cooking, and pet responsibilities. To name only a few. You know that saying, "you never know what you have til it's gone"...? For me, it's more like, "you never realized how many chores and to-do lists and general housekeeping things mom does until she's gone." We will only be able to communicate with her during sporadic times of cell service, so this leaves me as the lady of the Schrader household! Yesterday, I put to the test two recipes that I learned how to make last week in an "Italian Vegetarian" cooking class. No, I'm not suave enough to be Italian. Nor animal friendly enough to be vegetarian. But let me just tell you, these dishes are incredible!! And not with any thanks to my skills.
I give you,
Tuscan White Bean Spread and Sundried Tomatoes on Garlic Bruschette followed by a Roasted Vegetable Lasagna with Spinach and Bechamel.
Think hummus for the bean spread, with ample garlic and olive oil layered over a toasted baguette. I had no problem eating about ten of these. :) It was difficult to get a picture of the lasagna, so here are the veggies: spinach, asparagus, eggplant, and zucchini. Yum! The bechamel is basically a sauce of milk, flour, and butter that has been poured over layers and layers of these fresh greens and noodles. It's a high-cholesterol pool of creamy delight.
Dinner. is. served.
No comments:
Post a Comment