Saturday, December 18, 2010

First Semester - Check!

Well, I did it!! I'm an eighth of the way to graduation and halfway through my freshman year of college! And not even a tattoo or piercing to prove it........yet at least. :)

University life has been all that I expected it to be, really. Not nearly in a negative sense, though, because I arrived at Point Loma with exceedingly high expectations. Like any transition, there were certainly cycles of ups and downs, but I can't say I'd change a thing. I have been molded and shaped, bent and stretched, with not a few bumps and cracks to realign my little existence. I wish that everyone could have the same opportunity; being able to move away from home and grow independently, experimenting with yourself in unexpected ways, is crucial. This is what I have come to understand of the phrase "growing up." Allow me to reminisce:

August was bliss. On that glorious 20th day at my assigned 1:40 move-in time, my parents and I packed the Beamer to the brim and drove out of our temporary home at the San Diego Best Western. For lack of any other space, my dad was driving and I was squashed on top of my mom's lap in the passenger seat. As we ventured down to Nease Hall, I bent my head from the ceiling of the cramped passenger seat and looked out the window. Pulled up into the parking space next to us was a strangely familiar face.....and then a greeting I will never forget: "MASEY?!" It was my roommate, Katherine, just happening to pull up at the exact moment we did. Only thanks to our pre-introduction/creeping on Facebook did we recognize each other and giddlily jump out of the car to hug and take our first few pictures together. And, oh, what a weekend that was. New Student Orientation lacked sleep and sense as Katherine and I explored every inch of campus together. I remember our first night at Loma, hiking down to the cliffs beneath Young Hall and watching the sun set; we talked about how we were going to ditch Nease and set up camp for the semester on the beach. From then on, we pretty much spent every moment together (literally....), delighting ourselves with as much ice cream as possible in the Caf and then spending late nights on the track working into our California beach bodies (or so we dreamed). 

September was a serious wake up call. My senior year of high school had been relatively easy and, even though I know how to work hard, the past school year had kind of let me forget what school was. College was HARD. Man. I don't think I've ever cracked open so many books at one time, literally spending hours pouring over grammar I thought I already knew and American government that I definitely didn't. Freshman orientation had so slyly tricked me into believing that college was going to be the beach, late-night roommate bonding, and adventures with my hall. But actual SCHOOL?! I didn't even have a clue what I had signed up for. For a nice break on my birthday, my parents rented me a car and Katherine and I ventured around Coronado Island (pleaaaaase Google it), and then spent the evening downtown eating sushi with some friends. The rest of the month, though, was devoted to intense study and extreme adjustment to my heavy work load. The magic was starting to settle and I could finally inhale long enough for reality to set in.

October was....hard. I missed my family and friends, Olympia, and the adventures of summer. I was tired of new introductions and craved a familiar face. At some points I felt pangs of loneliness that I never had before--basketball summer camps and trips to grandma's house hadn't nearly prepared. Katherine and I began to grow farther apart as we realized our differences and I began to feel like I was living with a stranger, rarely exchanging words except in passing. Honestly, living with your best friend is a challenge (oh my goodness, hello marriage......) and neither of us was warned. We are both extremely outspoken and not the tiniest bit afraid of confrontation; while this makes some agreements easier, our friendship took a toll. I thought seriously about quitting this California thing and just enrolling at SPSCC. But, coming home for fall break was an unexpected and much, much needed blessing that sort of kick-started an attitude rejuvenation that would get me through the next months of school. If you know me, you know I am a hard-core studier. I put the requirements of my classes in front of me as a distraction and rarely went out otherwise, even on weekends. I think this period was good for me, to be able to sort of suffer alone, and come to the realization that Jesus....sometimes just Jesus, was more than enough.

November introduced a welcomed change. I began to really hit it off with the people in my major and that has slowly become my new niche. We would study together and then eat meals together, with common interests that might often be cleverly disguised as social awkwardness. (Now, I must admit, as much as I do love these people, there is a serious lack of some basic people skills leading to very dry humor and my conviction that math just might not be the right place for me. I love socializing too much.) Nevertheless, we shared laughs and life, failures and victories, Computer Science and Calculus to the nth, bracing the challenges with one another's company. I was still killing myself for good grades, but I was learning how to balance it with a little fun. Hall pictures, a trip to the nut farm, holiday parties, and unforgettable GYRAD at Balboa filled my life with lots of love and laughter. Katherine and I had come to terms with living together; no, it's certainly not easy in our 12 x 15 room sometimes, but we care for each other enough to make it enjoyable. We are two very different people, with opposite sleep and study habits, opinions that don't always agree, and outlooks on priorities that have hindered that label of "best friends." In both being able to realize this, our friendship has actually been restored.  With these new attitudes, I truly began to fall in love with Loma and claim it as my new home. Still, though, I was counting down the days until I would go home (AGAIN! I'm spoiled.....) for Thanksgiving. That was another needed break from the hectic schedules of class. Coming back to Olympia, with only another 17 days until Christmas break, was definitely a tease.

But now, finally, December. :) I was able to pretty easily push through finals because of my intense focus up until then. In fact, I found myself saying 'ya know, I could get use to this finals thing' with literally one class a day and the rest to do whatever! I started and finished the semester strong and I am proud of myself for that. Returning yesterday was less of a thrill than the past two trips and I find myself actually missing the people and general atmosphere of school....even after one short day. As I flew over the city yesterday at 6:30 in the morning, staring down from my window seat onto the strip of land that is Loma, I was overwhelmed by the fact that I actually live THERE. The farthest corner of the United States, squished between the Pacific and the border of Mexico, lavished with sunshine and views of every possible nook and cranny of San Diego, is where I casually wake up, do my homework, hang out with friends, and just LIVE. I honestly still can't believe it.....even after four long months. And what's even more unbelievable, arriving 2 hours and 40 minutes later in my hometown was nearly a rival. The numerous islands of greater Seattle, covered to an inch in evergreen trees and lapped with the shores of the dark green Sound is the milk to California's cookie. I am quite traveled when it comes to the United States and I can't think of two more contrasting, yet beautiful places.

Right now, as I sit next to our Christmas tree with my kitty cats, I can't mouth (or type, rather) any other word but contentment. The past four months have surely been a journey; the next four months await a whole new adventure. But, right now, in these three little weeks that I have with my dear Olympians, life is sitting still. I'm allowed a lot of rest and relaxation, with time to process the past and a nearing future. I can't, can't wait. Thank you to all who have impacted this process from near or afar....or are maybe just endearingly creeping. Stay tuned for this craziness to continue, because I know God will continue to wreck every expectation I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment