Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Happy Hump Day

It's one of my favorite times of the week: 7:00 breakfast in the Caf, before 8:30 class. I'm one of the few in the building. The clink-clink-clinking of the silverware is almost the only sound. Scrumptious muffins, hot coffee, fresh fruit, and a clear mind. Oh, and time to write. Finally.
As I had assumed, I have been an absolute crazy-person since getting back on campus a month ago...today! The first few hours and days were a blur of moving in, reuniting with friends, running those last-minute errands, and finding a part-time job. I haven't really had the time to look over my shoulder since I hit the ground running on that first week of school.

I'm working part-time (8 hours a week that actually feels like 30) at an art gallery just down the road. Yes, it sounds really cool. But, no, unfortunately, it's quite monotonous. The shorter version of the story: a 50-something old man that lives in Kauai, Hawaii (whom I've never actually met/probably won't ever meet) started a gallery here in San Diego a number of years back to showcase his...um...watercolors. Let's just say, when I take these...well....pieces to be photographed or framed, I am all too eager to un-claim them as my own works. "Art," and demanding a list of 75 monotonous, trivial tasks a week, are the full-time hobby of this character who I have been required to refer to as "Bro." Yeah, you know...the name you call your little sibling, or your homie g's on the street; apparently it is short for Albert. Who knew! Anyways, my job description is basically to "man" the gallery, take orders from him, chauffeur these works of art around San Diego, submit pieces to shows, get declined, etc.

With the money I am making, I have been able to invest in my own membership at 24-Hour Fitness, which isn't really fancy or exceptional or unforgettable in itself, but that has given me the opportunity to release some stress and be with friends. Our nightly routine is to work out around 10 or so, and then go to Fiji Frozen Yogurt down the street. A great way to maximize our exercise and all of those calories just burned, right? Right. :)

Two weeks ago, I flew home for the wedding of one of my best friends. Needless to say, whilst suffering from a condition called 3-hours-of-sleep-a-night, helping my parents move into our new house, and still trying to stay on top of school...I was sort of a bridesmaid-zilla. Although the weekend and the union were both a complete success, I was not the supporting and encouraging friend that I should have been for the bride that has always been my support and my encouragement. But, it was only my first wedding. :) I've learned my lesson on selflessness. And the importance of a healthy sleep schedule.

That being said, and coffee being downed: it's time for class!

First, though, I want to encourage you with the two Psalms that have been an enormous encouragement to me this week: 7 and 91.

No comments:

Post a Comment