Thursday, March 3, 2011

Praise. the. Lord.

Goodness, I'm blessed.

I got to spend almost all of today hanging out with close friends. The last few hours of my night have been spent in study, worship, and prayer with a few of the girls on my hall. Tomorrow, I will get to share my last meal for a while with these special gals, and then board a plane to see my family. The next week will be a time of enjoying them, friends, and the comforts of home. I'm just feeling showered with love.

Out of all of the blessings I am counting, however, one has been a fervent praise upon my heart: I am so thankful for men of God in my life that make me want to love Jesus more. I'm really not sure how it happened (well, I am confident that it could only be the ways of Jesus...yet these are still mysterious), but my close girl friends and I have been overwhelmed by the chivalry and sheer brotherly, Christ-like love of what we get to call our best guy friends. This group of guys, mostly older than us and some even into their mid-twenties, have completely reversed my mumbling, under-the-breath complaints that there are just no godly men out there anymore. It's so easy to point the finger when we feel we have been bruised. And, yet, there may be an even greater absence of women out there striving and seeking for the Lord. However, we do desperately need our brothers to lead us in truth and encourage us with their strength in our individual walks. They are vital to the leadership of the church. And, whether they recognize it or not, (or even read this or not...:)) the young men I can call my friends are continually encouraging my faith by praying for me, offering to give rides to church and elsewhere, keeping me accountable in my behavior, and just turning every single conversation back to Christ.

Praise. the. Lord. Please, girls, don't give up. Don't settle, one bit. There are guys out there who will treasure you and protect you because you are a woman after God's own heart. Ones who won't use your presence to build their pride or boost their egos. Your bodies will be a temple to them, and not simply a prize. I know. They will see past your outward facades, your insecurities, and your past. You will be more to them than a convenience or a selfish pleasure. I've seen it. Yes, they may be few and far between, and you may need to forego a few easy dates or shallow crushes in order to find them, but you will. Pray for your future husband, and prepare yourself to be a woman that serves him in light of your love for Christ. To quote one of these men at dinner the other night: "Ladies, don't for one second doubt your identity in Christ. To a man of God, a woman who is pursuing Christ is the most attractive thing there is."

For any men that are reading this, I'd encourage you also to be a leader by example for all of the women you encounter. You will never know the greatness of the impact your actions and affirmations have.

Love, to all friends!

Moments after this post, 11:45 PM, I received a text from one of my brothers: "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." -Proverbs 31:30 Amen.

1 comment: